Saturday, May 1, 2010

New adventures in quilting...

So I am getting my foot in the door with quilting now. I was going to take a class but between the class, the supplies and getting a sitter; we figured that would be close to $800 over the next 12 weeks. Since that isn't really an option, I have decided to request the assistance of my friend Sherry. She was more than willing to send me lots of information on how to get started. In fact, she taught herself online as well.

Sherry warned me that this hobby can be addictive. Well, I should have really taken that statement to heart because IT IS!!! I spent the night before last on the computer just browsing fabrics. Before I knew it, 2 hours had breezed right by me. I ordered my "charm packs" and "jelly rolls" and was on my way. I have so much terminology to learn. Thank goodness Sherry is there to tell me what is going on, or I would be completely lost. I have a new respect for all of those users I used to speak to when I worked at the help desk. I always took it for granted that I knew what Gigs and RAM and IP Addresses were. Now I am in a foreign land and can appreciate how difficult it is to communicate about a subject matter of which you know zilch.

Well, I go to the store to get my measuring and cutting supplies this Friday - once the big sale at Hancock's starts. I will keep my progress posted on here. No pictures yet, hopefully, soon.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Wonderful! Quitling is very rewarding as the projects can be very simple and the product long lasting. I love seeing babies curled up in my quilts!

If you ever want to chat I love talking shop :)

Crystal

Betsy said...

Do you use a lot of patterns for your quilts? I am still waiting on getting my new (well, new to me) sewing machine from my friend. I am itching to get started. I only hope that I can finish my projects as well as I start them. I am notorious for leaving things unfinished!