Monday, June 7, 2010

Why do I even bother?

I am not sure how it works in other people's homes, but I have decided that I should never put away my vacuum cleaner.  Yesterday, I vacuumed and mopped no less than three times.  I want to preface this by saying that I used to be a neat/clean freak, but living with Mark and three girls that have a tendency to follow in his footsteps, has cured me of that.  I still LOVE, let me spell it out for you again L - O - V - E, a clean house, but it just ain't gonna happen 'round here.  IF my house has ever been clean all at once, the stains on the carpet or couch tell a completely different story of  our lives.

So, yesterday started off like most other days, I drag the out the vacuum and get started.  I clean the dog hair out of the kitchen area because, well frankly, yuck!  I then vacuum the floor in front of and behind the couch which is a magnet for crumbs.  I have asked a million times that food be eaten in the kitchen, but they love to have their breakfast of champions, frozen waffles, on the couch in front of the TV.  Since I am usually still in bed when all this happens, I am not there to remind them.  Morning vacuuming DONE!  Then I have to mop because of the awful white tile in the kitchen and nook area.

Despite the threats to their lives, the kids CANNOT stay off a wet floor.  My gosh, man!... how do your little feet get dirt on them?  You went from the bath to your bed to downstairs.  I know my carpets aren't that dirty.

So back to the floors.... so once I have vacuumed and mopped and they have tromped on them, I, of course, have to mop them again and thus repeats the pattern.  I finally get them dry and clean.  I put the vacuum away, I empty the mop water and think I might get to sit down.  Nope, the dog drinks her water.  The dog tracks her water through the kitchen.  The kids walk through the kitchen with those mysteriously dirty feet again.  I promise myself I will leave the floors alone until after lunch.

Lunch, vacuum and then mop.  Repeat at dinner.  Why do I even bother to empty the water - well, because it is gross, right?  Why do I even bother to put away the vacuum?  Because, eventually, a child will trip over it, right?  Wish I had more answers.  Until then, I am buying stock in Pine Sol.

No comments: