Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tres cookies





Some days I just got it.... some days I don't.  I would say that I have had about a week's worth of days that I haven't had "it", but starting last night, I got it back.  I started by making cookie dough for three different test recipes.  I started with a recipe online and tweaked it several times for both taste and altitude and ended up with what I am calling my Creamsicle cookies.

After making these, which by the way, are so yummy, I started the dough for citrus butter cookies.  I originally called them orange snaps but had to change it for two reasons.  For one, I add both orange and lemon to them and secondly, because I always think of ginger snaps when I hear "snaps".  They taste nothing like snaps, they taste just like butter - mmmmm!!!!

Finally, I took a wonderful recipe for chocolate chip cookies that my lovely friend Noelle gave me and changed that too.  Sorry, Noelle.  I had all this orange zest and OJ concentrate left over, so I decided to experiment with it.  I, personally, love orange and chocolate together... maybe that is just me.  I ended up with beautiful chocolate chip cookies with just a hint of orange taste to them.  

You may ask, "What's the big deal??? So you made so flippin'  cookies."  Well, here's the big deal.  I haven't baked in about a month, so for me, it was great to have the motivation back.  Also, I think I stopped baking partly because of this altitude thing.  If any of you bake, you know it is nothing like cooking.  Baking is all about precision and accuracy.  I have done alright since moving to 6000 ft, but not superb.  These cookies mark a turning point for me.  I think I finally have it down.  

I think the girls and Mark are happy about all of this.  For dessert tonight, they had... you guessed it, cookies!!!  Well, ice cream sandwiches made from the butter cookies and birthday ice cream.  From these messy faces, I am guessing they liked them.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Oh these look good! I have dreamed of moving to the mountains, getting out of this contemptable Florida heat but the hail post and then the baking issues I'm not sure I'd survive :)